Almond Pistachio Baklava
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 35 min. + standing
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups unsalted pistachios
- 2-1/4 cups unsalted unblanched almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2 packages (16 ounces each, 14x9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups sugar, water, honey and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Working in batches, combine pistachios and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; set aside. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll one package of phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2x9-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 9 times. (Keep dough covered with a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture.
- Top with 10 layers of buttered phyllo dough and a third of the nut mixture; repeat layers. Top with remaining phyllo dough, buttering each layer.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack. Slowly pour cooled sugar syrup over baklava. Cover and let stand overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 273 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 16, 2010
While this recipe is not the quickest to make the results are AWESOME! I made this for work in a little "contest" we had for our open house, everyone loved it and I won! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect! Will definitely be adding this to my personal cookbook at home.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.