Almond Pear Tartlets
Although they're quick to fix, you'll want to savor these pretty pastries slowly. Delicately spiced pears are complemented by an almond sauce and a crispy crust. Be prepared to share the recipe.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells, thawed
- 2 small ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the egg, 1/2 cup sugar, cream and butter. Cook and stir until the sauce is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Cover and refrigerate.
- On an unfloured surface, roll each pastry into a 4-in. circle. Place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Top each with pear slices. Combine the cinnamon, ginger and remaining sugar; sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Serve warm with chilled cream sauce.
Originally published as Almond Pear Tartlets in Taste of Home August/September 2000