Almond Pear Tartlets
Although they're quick to fix, you'll want to savor these pretty pastries slowly. Delicately spiced pears are complemented by an almond sauce and a crispy crust. Be prepared to share the recipe.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells, thawed
- 2 small ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the egg, 1/2 cup sugar, cream and butter. Cook and stir until the sauce is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Cover and refrigerate.
- On an unfloured surface, roll each pastry into a 4-in. circle. Place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Top each with pear slices. Combine the cinnamon, ginger and remaining sugar; sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Serve warm with chilled cream sauce.