Almond-Orange Lettuce Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 package (3 ounces) slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 snack-size cups (4 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- For dressing, combine the first six ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake until sugar is dissolved. In a heavy skillet, saute almonds in butter until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook and stir until sugar is melted, about 3 minutes. Spread on foil to cool; break apart.
- On two salad plates, arrange the greens, oranges and onions. Shake the dressing; drizzle over salads. Sprinkle with sugared almonds.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 563 calories, 40g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 1, 2013
The prep work for this salad is very easy. The dressing is quite sweet, but compliments the salad perfectly. Made this as a side for the TOH Parmesan Fish recipe. Will make again.
Jan 17, 2010
This salad has a great combination of flavors. When I made it I only had red onion and i added a tablespoon of orange juice to the dressing.