Almond Macaroon Tart
My husband loves his aunt's special almond cake, but she’s very secretive about her recipe. So I used that idea to create something new—a nutty, golden-brown tart.—Elisa Thoreson, Englishtown, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 package (7 ounces) almond paste, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place almonds and coconut in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add flour and sugar; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until crumbly. Reserve 1-1/2 cups crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom and up sides of a greased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
- For filling, place confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup coconut, almond paste and extract in food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. Add egg whites; process until blended. Spread into crust; sprinkle with reserved topping.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining coconut; bake 5-8 minutes longer or until coconut is lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 401 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Almond Macaroon Tart in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.