Almond-Filled Breakfast Rolls
A sweet, buttery almond filling is rolled into these homespun treats. Topped with more nuts, they're an irresistible addition to any breakfast spread.—Ann Nace, Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- ALMOND FILLING:
- 3/4 cup almond cake and pastry filling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the remaining sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add cream and egg yolks; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat almond paste and butter until smooth. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. square. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 14 rolls. Place rolls, cut-side up, on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes (dough will not double).
- Brush with egg; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Solo brand cake and pastry filling. Look for it in the baking aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Almond Filled Yeast Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.