Almond Espresso Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup cold brewed espresso
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, chocolate curls and coffee beans, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar; cover and process until ground. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the chocolate, espresso, cocoa, orange juice, espresso granules, vanilla and reserved almond mixture.
- Beat reserved egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 42-48 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely. Garnish with confectioners' sugar, chocolate curls and coffee beans if desired.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
This recipe does not use flour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 408 calories, 28g fat (8g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 25, 2019
This was really good! I impressed my gluten-free friend's husband who couldn't believe something gluten-free could be so good. Will make again with gluten-free friends or not.
Apr 2, 2016
My daughter is allergic to gluten, this is a nice recipe to enjoy as a family
Dec 9, 2011
I love chocolate, coffee, and nuts.yes I would make it again, and invite a good friend over to share it, with me.
Jul 25, 2011
Gluten free or not! This was delicious. Will definitely make again and again.
Sep 28, 2010
what a treat for my gluten free friend! This was so delicious, it's going in my favorites!