Almond-Edged Butter Cookies
I know you will love these cookies—everyone does! The light crunchy buttery flavor melts in your mouth.—Diane Nelson, Apple Valley, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 7-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1-1/3 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into four 1-1/2-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a shallow bowl, combine almonds and remaining sugar. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg whites. Unwrap dough; brush with egg whites. Roll in almond mixture, pressing firmly into dough. Cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 56 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Nut Edged Butter Slices in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.