Almond Date Confections
For our first Christmas together, I made these fast candies for my then-boyfriend. He has begged me for them every holiday since...and we've been married for more than 10 years! —Katherine Job, Carmel, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 tube (7 ounces) almond paste
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon water, optional
- 18 pitted dates, halved
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Sweetened shredded coconut or finely chopped almonds, toasted
- In a bowl, combine the almond paste, confectioners' sugar and extract. Knead until mixture forms a ball, adding water if mixture is too crumbly. Cut dates in half widthwise. Wrap about 1-1/2 teaspoons of almond mixture around each date half and roll into a ball.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate, then roll in coconut or almonds. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Store in a covered container at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as The Perfect Date Confection in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005