Almond Danish Coffee Cakes
Rich almond paste is enveloped within each of these tender, flaky pastries, making them the perfect choice for a festive gathering. At first glimpse, guests will know these were a labor of love. —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 2 hours + chilling Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- ALMOND PASTE:
- 2 cups finely chopped blanched almonds
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and cubed butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; roll dough into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Cut cold butter into thin slices. Starting with a short side of dough, arrange half of the butter slices over two-thirds of rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Fold unbuttered third of dough over middle third. Fold remaining third over the middle, forming a 12x6-in. rectangle. Press edges to seal. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll dough into an 18x12-in. rectangle.
- Repeat steps of dough folding, ending with a 12x6-in. rectangle, chilling and rolling dough into an 18x12-in. rectangle three times.
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, confectioners' sugar, egg whites and almond extract. Set aside. On a floured surface roll dough into a 20-in. square. Cut in half, forming two rectangles.
- Spoon half of the almond paste over one rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Brush edge with egg white; pinch seam to seal. Bring ends of roll towards the center to form a "B" shape. Place seam side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and almond paste.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Combine egg yolk and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 291 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.