Almond-Crusted French Toast
This elegant version of French toast is ideal for special occasions. It seems so simple, but the sliced almonds and dusting of powdered sugar make such a difference.—Judith Austic, Kirksville, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar and maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture; place on waxed paper. Press almonds onto tops of bread slices.
- Cook on a greased hot griddle for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve with syrup.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 408 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 227mg cholesterol, 613mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Almond Crusted French Toast in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.