Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies—particularly during the Christmas season. These parfaits are a great way to top off holiday meals. They have a sweet almond flavor but aren't too heavy and filling.
Recommended: 37 Easy Breakfast Ideas with 5 Ingredients or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup shortbread cookie crumbs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 to 8 maraschino cherries
- In a large saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually add 1 cup hot milk mixture. Return all to pan. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and extract; mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until cool.
- Add almonds. Pour into six to eight parfait glasses; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. In a bowl, beat cream and remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon over parfaits. Chill. Just before serving, garnish with cherries. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Almond Cream Parfaits in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p38
Reviews forAlmond Cream Parfaits
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2012
"not very good"