Almond Cranberry Sauce
This homemade sauce is scrumptious served over pound cake. It's nice for when company's coming because it can be made ahead of time.—Doris Eastlund, Isanti, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and sliced
- Whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water and apricot preserves. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until cranberries pop, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cranberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in almonds and lemon juice. Serve over pound cake. Garnish with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 85 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Almond Cranberry Sauce in Country Woman November/December 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.