- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg and extract; mix well (filling will be soft). Spread down center of rectangle; sprinkle with chips. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips, about 1/2 in. from filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush with milk. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forAlmond Coffee Cake
"i am a fanatic about anything almond flavored +this also hits on my love of coffee cakes."
"This is really over the top. It got a lot of comments when I made it for a brunch. It's just a little different. It takes a little time but it's worth the effort."
"MY FRIENDS ARE DIABETIC. I AM GOING TO SUBSTITUTE SPLENDA FOR SUGAR, USE FAT FREE MILK AND USE FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE.I WILL LET YOU KNOW RESULTS."
"Haven't made this yet, but I intend to this weekend. It sounds very easy and oh soooo good. Thanks for the recipe.Judy"