Almond Coconut Kringles
My mom was well-known for her delicious kringle. She made it from memory and when she passed away, we didn’t have the recipe to carry on this tradition. We searched through her recipes and we found what we believe was her original starting recipe. So that’s where we began. The dough remains the same, but I have adjusted the filling ingredients until it finally came out just right. Try this tender, flaky pastry with its almonds and coconut filling, and you’ll be hooked on it the way we are! —Deborah Richmond, Trabuco Canyon, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes4 kringles (9 slices each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in sour cream. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in almonds and coconut.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion into a 12x10-in. rectangle. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to use.) Spread 1 cup filling lengthwise down the center. Fold in sides of pastry to meet in the center; pinch seam to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Transfer to two ungreased baking sheets. Bake 23-27 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over pastries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 244 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as PECAN KRINGLE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.