Almond Coconut Bread
Sprinkling sugar on top of this bread before baking gives it a delectable crunch. The flavor from almond extract pairs nicely with the coconut.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in coconut.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 167 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Bread in Best of Country Breads