Almond Citrus Biscotti
"Often, I'll package some of my home-baked biscotti with a mug and a special blend of coffee to give as a gift," says Claire Brogren of Winside, New York.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground almonds
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon zest, orange zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough into four portions; shape each into an 8-in. x 2-in. rectangle on ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat remaining egg; brush evenly over dough. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 169 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Almond Citrus Biscotti in Taste of Home February/March 2001