Almond Chocolate Torte with Chocolate Curls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 12 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate curls
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in almonds (mixture will be thin); set aside.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the chocolate mixture. Top with second cake layer; spread with half of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with chocolate curls. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 557 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 10, 2011
I will definitely will make this torte again! Really nice flavor and because I didn't know how to do the chocolate curls, I made chocolate leaves! The only negative, is when it came time to cut the cake, It didn't hold in place too well. I had to hold the layers while cutting. You need to place the cake slices on its side when serving.