I serve this variation of chocolate cake often and it is always a hit. It is almost like a steamed pudding, served warm and topped with whipped cream or ice cream. The chocolate-praline flavor comes through nicely.
Recommended: Chocolate Almond Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
- Combine the brown sugar, butter and cream; divide between two greased 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle with almonds.
- In a small bowl, beat sugar and butter until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Divide between ramekins. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto dessert plates. Serve warm. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Almond Chocolate Cakes in Reminisce August/September 2008, p50