Almond Chip Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 eggs, cream and extract; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Gently stir in chips and almonds. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 6-8 times.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into a 10-1/2-in. circle, about 3/4 in. thick. Cut into eight wedges. Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Slightly separate wedges.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 595 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 8, 2012
I have not tried this yet, but I plan to use the same amount of buttermilk instead of heavy cream. I think it will work fine. I keep powdered buttermilk on hand for baking, so I can mix the amount I need.
Feb 15, 2012
Hi, I just would like to know how I can make these scones using other than heavy cream?