Almond Chip Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 eggs, cream and extract; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Gently stir in chips and almonds. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 6-8 times.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into a 10-1/2-in. circle, about 3/4 in. thick. Cut into eight wedges. Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Slightly separate wedges.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 595 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 8, 2012
I have not tried this yet, but I plan to use the same amount of buttermilk instead of heavy cream. I think it will work fine. I keep powdered buttermilk on hand for baking, so I can mix the amount I need.
Feb 15, 2012
Hi, I just would like to know how I can make these scones using other than heavy cream?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.