Almond Chicken Pasta Bake
This is a full-flavored, all-in-one chicken casserole. It is one of my go-to recipes when serving a large group, since I know how much my friends and family enjoy it. This can be made up hours before it cooks. Just refrigerate and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking.—Louise Warren Blades, Eizabeth City, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 cooked bacon strips, crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and onion in butter for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Whisk in flour and nutmeg until blended. Add cream and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain pasta; stir into cream sauce. Add the broccoli, chicken, tomatoes, bacon, 1/4 cup cheese and sherry. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 409 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Pasta Bake in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Feb 25, 2015
this was pretty good... I gave it a solid B... prob won't make again
Jun 4, 2013
Great make ahead dish! I baked half and froze the other half. I did substitute half of the whipping cream for fat free half n half.