Almond Cherry Ring
I frist made this coffee cake for Christmas brunch a few years ago and it was a hit. Each bite is bursting with a classic pairing of cherry and almond flavors. —Michelle Delgado, Newnan, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond filling
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine the cherries, cold water and 1/4 cup sugar. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 110°-115°. Add the milk mixture, lemon zest, salt, remaining sugar and 1-1/2 cups flour to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Add eggs; beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Roll into an 18x8-in. rectangle. Spread almond filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with reserved cherries. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward the center of the ring at 1-1/2-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist so filling shows. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine egg and 1 tablespoon milk. Brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. For glaze, in a bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, vanilla and remaining milk until smooth; drizzle over the ring.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 286 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.