Almond Cherry Pie
I love trying new recipes for Christmas, but my husband can't get enough of the traditional classics-like this cherry pie.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice. Set cherries aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in reserved cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, extracts and food coloring if desired. Fold in cherries. Cool slightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Pour filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush lattice top with egg yolk. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 424 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 21, 2009
Better with 3/4c sugar and 2tlb lemon juice.
Jan 1, 2009
A little too sweet for me so I will omit about a 1/4 cup sugar next time. I also added a few tablespoons of lemon juice to give it a little tartness.