After I purchased a huge jar of cherries at an outlet store, I realized I needed more recipe ideas for them. I started experimenting and came up with these fudgy bars. Happily, my family loves them!
Recommended: Top 10 Light Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate syrup
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and extract. Add chocolate syrup and flour; mix well. Stir in cherries, coconut and almonds.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, combine butter and cocoa. Cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and extract. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over brownies. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Almond-Cherry Cake Brownies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p60
Reviews forAlmond-Cherry Cake Brownies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2012
"I would cut back a little on the almond extract, otherwise they were tasty!"