Almond Cheese Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-2/3 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer a fourth of the bread and cheese. Repeat three times. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt and extract; pour over top. Cover; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 360 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 14, 2013
Delicious - if you like almonds. Reheats well.
Feb 4, 2013
I wanted a meatless breakfast casserole and this is absolutely perfect. It tastes great and has an excellent presentation. Don't change anything in the recipe. I have made it numerous times.