Almond Cheese Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-2/3 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer a fourth of the bread and cheese. Repeat three times. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt and extract; pour over top. Cover; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 360 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Mar 14, 2013
Delicious - if you like almonds. Reheats well.
Feb 4, 2013
I wanted a meatless breakfast casserole and this is absolutely perfect. It tastes great and has an excellent presentation. Don't change anything in the recipe. I have made it numerous times.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.