My aunt, Jacquie Moore, used to make this wonderful breakfast dish when I lived on her ranch during my summer vacations from school.—Margaret Neff, Eagle, Colorado
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-2/3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer a fourth of the bread and cheese. Repeat three times. In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, salt and extract; pour over top. Cover; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Almond Cheese Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p279
Reviews forAlmond Cheese Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 14, 2013
"Delicious - if you like almonds. Reheats well."