Almond Brittle Torte
I brought this impressive cake to my bridge club potluck—and now they want in every time we meet! Homemade brittle makes it extra special. —Marrian Storm, Athol, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil; butter the foil and set aside. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and coffee granules. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 290°. Sprinkle with baking soda, stirring constantly (mixture will foam). Stir in the almonds. Pour into prepared pan. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, water, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar; add to egg yolk mixture and mix well. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Fold into the batter. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove cake from pan. Split horizontally into four layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with about 3/4 cup whipped cream. Break almond brittle into small pieces; sprinkle some over cream. Repeat layers twice. Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining brittle. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's Note: Almond brittle will melt on the whipped cream and form a syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 478 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.