Almond Berry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup almonds and egg white. Add 1/2 cup sugar; toss to coat. Spoon into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in strawberries and remaining almonds.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with sugared almonds. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 217 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 26, 2016
I divided the batter and put fresh raspberries in 1/2; and fresh blueberries in the other 1/2. I have made this recipe several times; it's delicious!
Apr 14, 2016
The topping is great. I found it easiest to bake on parchment paper lined pan. That way they don't stick and make a mess.
Dec 4, 2012
The sugared almonds are a very nice touch and these muffins are excellent for breakfast or a snack.
Sep 22, 2011
These were yummy fresh out of the oven! Next time I will cut the recipe down. The next day they were very soggy!
May 25, 2010
very good! Was hard for my husband and I to stop at 1!! The topping was kind of messy to make but was worth it!
Apr 25, 2010
Absolutely delicious! This recipe has all the elements of a good muffin....moist, crunch and flavorful. It's a keeper!!
Dec 13, 2008
Jul 21, 2008
Very yummy! My husband and kids gobbled them up.