Almond Berry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup almonds and egg white. Add 1/2 cup sugar; toss to coat. Spoon into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in strawberries and remaining almonds.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with sugared almonds. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 217 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 26, 2016
I divided the batter and put fresh raspberries in 1/2; and fresh blueberries in the other 1/2. I have made this recipe several times; it's delicious!
Apr 14, 2016
The topping is great. I found it easiest to bake on parchment paper lined pan. That way they don't stick and make a mess.
Dec 4, 2012
The sugared almonds are a very nice touch and these muffins are excellent for breakfast or a snack.
Sep 22, 2011
These were yummy fresh out of the oven! Next time I will cut the recipe down. The next day they were very soggy!
May 25, 2010
very good! Was hard for my husband and I to stop at 1!! The topping was kind of messy to make but was worth it!
Apr 25, 2010
Absolutely delicious! This recipe has all the elements of a good muffin....moist, crunch and flavorful. It's a keeper!!
Dec 13, 2008
Jul 21, 2008
Very yummy! My husband and kids gobbled them up.