Almond Berry Bread
With raspberries and a sugary almond crust, this quick bread is pretty inside and out. I like to bake two and give one away.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- In a small bowl, pour milk over oats; let stand for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the almond paste, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with oat mixture. Fold in 1/4 cup almonds.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with raspberries. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 161 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Almond Berry Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.