Almond Apricot Logs
This is a treat my family insists I make each year for the holidays. We often refer to these sweet bread bites simply as "good things". They're super served warm.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, oil, sugar, eggs, salt, nutmeg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add apricots and almonds. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface;let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Cut into 3x1-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients;brush over warm logs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 95 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.