- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) apricot preserves, divided
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in almond extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat on low just until blended. Spread half of the batter in a greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with half of the almonds. Spread half of the preserves to within 1/2 in of the edges. Cover with remaining batter. Spoon remaining preserves over batter to within 1/2 in of edges. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Carefully invert onto a serving platter. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forAlmond Apricot Coffee Cake
"Many compliments on this cake. It was a little crunchy & brown so next time I may try at 50 mins. I added an oj & powdered sugar glaze & sprinkled with a little water to deal with the crunchiness, but the apricot & almonds (I used sliced) made this really special."
"I made this for a family gathering at my sisters, everyone loved it, and it has now been added to everyone's recipe files"
"followed recipe exactly wonderful. a new family favorite"
"After reading this tempting recipe, I made a few minor changes. It turned out scrumptous. I used only 1/2 Cup butter and added 1/2 Cup applesauce instead. I do this with all my bread, cake, and muffin recipes to cut down on the fat. I've always had good results doing this and I wasn't disappointed this time. (It doesn't work so well in cookies recipes though.) I reduced the sugar by a half of a cup and since I didn't have apricot preserves, I used my own peach jam instead. The cake was very moist and yummy. This is a keeper for sure."