My mother, who is a big apricot and almond fan, inspired me to create this recipe. The teachers at our children's school look forward to me making these pretty loaves each Christmas.
Recommended: Our Best Coffee Cake Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (7 ounces) apricots with mixed fruit baby food, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/8 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Set aside 1 tablespoon baby food for glaze. In another bowl, beat the egg, 3/4 cup milk, oil, 1 teaspoon almond extract and remaining baby food. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in almonds and apricots.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, reserved baby food, and remaining milk and extract until smooth. Drizzle over bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Almond Apricot Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p29
Reviews forAlmond Apricot Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2011
"I'm not very familiar with baby food anymore. Is this a dry form or will the jarred food work?"