Almond-Apple Coffee Cake
I make this moist and tangy coffee cake for small gatherings or to give to a friend in need of a little cheer.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, brown sugar, lemon juice and apple pie spice. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until syrup is thickened and apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Spoon batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Arrange apple mixture over top; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 182 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Almond-Apple Coffee Cake in Country Extra March 2004
Sep 30, 2014
This was very good. Mine didn't look like the picture because the apples started to fall apart. Maybe I cut them too thin or stirred them too much. It was still a pretty presentation and my guests enjoyed it.