Almond-Apple Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, brown sugar, lemon juice and apple pie spice. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until syrup is thickened and apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Spoon batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Arrange apple mixture over top; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 182 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 30, 2014
This was very good. Mine didn't look like the picture because the apples started to fall apart. Maybe I cut them too thin or stirred them too much. It was still a pretty presentation and my guests enjoyed it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.