Every bite of this delicious pie bursts with fresh spring flavor. The filling's subtle almond taste sets it apart from other strawberry-rhubarb pies.—Patricia Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 60 Spring Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond cake and pastry filling
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in rhubarb and strawberries.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Fill with fruit mixture and dot with butter. Top with remaining pastry. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top; brush with egg white and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 35-45 minutes longer until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Almond, Strawberry & Rhubarb Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p170