All-Time Favorite Sugar Cookies
I searched for about 30 years to find the ideal sugar cookie recipe, and this is it! The dough turns out perfectly for cutting the thick cakelike cookies. Buttercream icing takes them over the top. Add sprinkles if you’d like. —Diana Krol, Nickerson, KS
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min/batch. + cooling
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sprinkles, optional
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high until thick, about 2 minutes. Fold in whites. Add melted margarine, sugar and vanilla; beat until blended. Stir in flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm enough to roll, 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are light brown, 7-9 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting, beat butter until creamy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in 5 tablespoons milk and vanilla until light and fluffy; thin with additional milk if desired. Spread or pipe onto cookies. If desired, decorate with sprinkles.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 113 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.