All-Star Muffin Mix
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes1 dozen per batch
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk first six ingredients until well blended. Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place or in the freezer up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (11 cups mix).
- To prepare plain muffins: Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together egg, milk and melted butter. Add 2-3/4 cups muffin mix, stirring just until moistened. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-21 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen per batch. For Blueberry Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, folding 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries into prepared batter. For Rhubarb-Orange Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, adding 1/3 cup orange marmalade to egg mixture and folding 3/4 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb into prepared batter.For Banana Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, adding 1 cup mashed ripe bananas to egg mixture. For Cranberry-Pecan Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, tossing 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 3 tablespoons sugar with muffin mix before adding to egg mixture. For Apricot-Cherry Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, tossing 1/2 cup each chopped dried apricots and dried cherries with muffin mix before adding to egg mixture. For Cappuccino Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, tossing 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules with muffin mix before adding to egg mixture. For Carrot-Raisin Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, tossing 3/4 cup shredded carrots and 1/3 cup golden raisins with muffin mix before adding to egg mixture. For Apple-Cheese Muffins: Prepare muffins as directed, tossing 1/2 cup each shredded peeled apple and shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese with muffin mix before adding to egg mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 plain muffin: 208 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 5, 2017
I made these but feel that the nutmeg was too strong for my taste. Will omit it next time.
May 5, 2016
This mix is a favorite with our family with consistent results no matter what we add it. We have tried raspberries and white chocolate chips as well as "Turtle" muffins with chocolate chips, caramel bits a pecans!
May 11, 2014
Very handy recipe. I am currently out...time to make a replacement batch!
Sep 1, 2013
This is almost the only muffin mix I use any more. Have made all the variations plus some of my own, love love love this mix. Sometimes I am concerned about the amount of butter in which case I use part applesauce without any difference in flavor or texture. This is a great go to recipe, I always have some made up in the pantry.
Mar 20, 2013
i had to add alot more milk than the recipe called for but otherwise a really good mix
Mar 20, 2013
i had toadd alot more milk than the recipe called for but otherwise a really good mix
Jun 4, 2012
Excellent! The kids love it! Which makes me a happy mommy!! Thanks, Nancy!
May 28, 2012
this recipe is fast and handy nto have around. i made a batch last night and used chocolate chips.. ya my bad i didnt even think that i probably didnt want the cinnamon and nutmeg taste.. but next time ill remember to make 2 of them one big batch with everything and one without cinn and nutmeg. other than that they were nice and fluffy. maybe a tad dry. but that could be on me but i might add a little more butter, milk, or another egg. well see. thanks for great recipe.
Jan 22, 2012
yes they are fast but i wont make them again of large amount of butter ...they come out greasy and not appealing...expected something better
Jan 5, 2012
oh also, you can depend on taste of home recipes.