All-in-One Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- SCRAMBLED EGGS:
- 8 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 English muffins, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside; discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute mushrooms and onions in drippings until tender; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; cook until bubbly. Gradually stir in milk and cheese; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the bacon, mushrooms and onions; remove from the heat and set aside.
- For scrambled eggs, beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour into a greased skillet. Cook and stir gently until eggs are set. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut English muffin halves in half again. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover with half of cheese sauce. Spoon eggs over all; top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 664 calories, 49g fat (24g saturated fat), 376mg cholesterol, 1044mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 13, 2018
I usually don't respond to snarky comments but I too, don't see where it says to "cook the bacon" and that would have been my question too. Can't we be a little more gentle with people?
Sep 7, 2016
I love how versatile and easy this recipe is. I made it exactly as indicated above and it was perfect. You can read my full review at Taking On Magazines: http://www.takingonmagazines.com/all-in-one-egg-casserole/
Aug 24, 2014
I made half this recipe for two of us and it is very good. The sauce tasted a little floury and was really thick but overall a good breakfast recipe. I added some diced red pepper and used more mushrooms than called for. Instead of parsley I topped with chopped tomatoes. Also, I used reduced fat sharp cheddar. I put the muffins on the bottom of the dish, half the sauce, the eggs, then the bacon and veggies, rest of the sauce and topped with tomatoes. I used reduced fat cheese and skim milk.
Nov 29, 2013
Mar 27, 2013
Really? Almost everyone asked if you cook the bacon first... that is the first thing the recipe says to do. This sounds so yummy, can't wait to try it!
Jan 5, 2013
Do you cook the bacon? wat bout the bacon? it says at the beggining of this recipe COOK BACON TILL CRISP!!! thats to the ppl that kept askin bout the bacon
Apr 4, 2010
Absolutely delicious!! My husband and I made this for Easter brunch this year. It was easy, quick and very good.
Jul 23, 2009
Egg Beaters, turkey bacon, and low-fat cheese would lower the fat content too. It sounds wonderfully delicious! Gotta try this one!
May 11, 2009
Do you fry bacon mushrooms & onions before adding to cheese sauce????
Jan 22, 2009
Do you see the nutrition on this? 49 g. fat per piece! Wow! I would definitely try to cut that down by using fewer egg yolks, lower fat bacon and cheese. That's more than a day's amount of fat in one serving!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.