All-American Strawberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Add milk, stirring until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Stir in small amount of milk mixture into yolks, then return all to saucepan. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool 20 minutes.
- Pour into pie shell; chill several hours until firm. Whip cream and sugar; spread half over pie filling. Arrange berries on cream. Dollop or pipe remaining cream around edge of pie.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 456 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 28, 2013
This recipe helped me create a delicious All-American comfort food, with a beautifully appealing finished product. Easy enough for my young ones to help out. They especially loved helping me place the strawberry halves and then fit the blueberries in the little spaces that were left over. We all felt proud to serve this to our Memorial Day guests. Wish I had thought to take a picture to share here. I guess I'll have to make it again. :)