Alien Popcorn Heads
These aliens will be a hit at your next Halloween bash or for a kid's birthday theme party. They're a spooky and delicious treat.--Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 6 black licorice twists
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 drop green food coloring
- Cut licorice into shapes to resemble the eyes, nostrils and mouths for 12 alien heads; set aside. Place popcorn in a large greased bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the water, baking soda, vanilla and green food coloring; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup and butter; cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 235° (soft-ball stage), about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in reserved vanilla mixture (mixture will foam). Immediately pour over popcorn, stirring to coat evenly. Cool for about 5 minutes, stirring several times. When cool enough to handle, firmly shape with buttered hands into 4-in.-long teardrop shapes; place on waxed paper.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup and food coloring until smooth. Place icing in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe icing onto popcorn heads to attach alien eyes, nostrils and mouth. Let stand until dry; wrap in plastic.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 371 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Alien Popcorn Heads in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun 2006