Ali’s Gluten-Free Pie Pastry
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
Makespastry for one 9-inch pie
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, almonds, sugar, salt and xanthan gum. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in egg. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Cover edges with foil. Bake pie according to recipe directions, removing foil during the last 15-20 minutes of baking.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 172 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 25, 2017
I had trouble rolling it out. It seemed very sticky BUT it tasted GREAT! Excellent texture and flavor. Will definitely be making it again.
Sep 29, 2013
I just used this recipe Sept. 27, 2013.. It was my Son In Laws birthday and I brought a 3 berry Gluten Free Pie. The Crust was very good, and flaky. It was a 'hit' at the party.