Air-Fryer Green Tomato Stacks
This is for lovers of red and green tomatoes. When I ran across this recipe, I just had to try it and it proved to be so tasty! —Barbara Mohr, Millington, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min./batch
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 2 medium red tomatoes
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices Canadian bacon, warmed
- Preheat air fryer to 375°. Mix mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; refrigerate until serving. Place flour in a shallow bowl; place egg whites in a separate shallow bowl. In a third bowl, mix cornmeal, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut each tomato crosswise into 4 slices. Lightly coat each slice in flour; shake off excess. Dip in egg whites, then in cornmeal mixture.
- In batches, place tomatoes on greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Turn; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes longer.
- For each serving, stack 1 slice each green tomato, bacon and red tomato. Serve with sauce.
Test Kitchen tip