Air Fryer Green Tomato BLT
I have used this "frying" method on eggplant slices for years and decided to try it on my green tomatoes. It worked! Now my family loves them in BLTs. —Jolene Martinelli, Derry, New Hampshire
- 2 medium green tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 8 cooked center-cut bacon strips
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1. Preheat air fryer to 350°. Spritz basket with cooking spray. Cut tomato into eight slices, about 1/4 in. thick each. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper. Place egg, flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess, then dip into egg, and finally into bread crumb mixture, patting to help adhere.
- 2. Working in batches as needed, place tomato slices in air fryer basket in a single layer; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 8-12 minutes turning halfway, spritzing with additional cooking spray. Remove and keep warm; repeat with remaining tomato slices.
- 3. Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, green onions and dill. Layer each of four slices of bread with two bacon strips, one lettuce leaf and two tomato slices. Spread mayonnaise mixture over remaining slices of bread; place over top. Serve immediately.
1 sandwich: 390 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1006mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC