Air-Fryer Green Tomato BLT
I have used this "frying" method with eggplant slices for years and decided to try it for my green tomatoes. It worked! Now my family loves them in BLTs. —Jolene Martinelli, Derry, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook 10 min./batch
- 2 medium green tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 8 cooked center-cut bacon strips
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Preheat air fryer to 350°. Cut each tomato crosswise into 4 slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place egg, flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess, then dip into egg, and finally into bread crumb mixture, patting to help adhere.
- In batches, arrange tomato slices in a single layer on greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Turn; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, green onions and dill. Layer each of 4 slices of bread with 2 bacon strips, 1 lettuce leaf and 2 tomato slices. Spread mayonnaise mixture over remaining slices of bread; place over top. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen tip