- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg, sour cream, currants, lemon peel and orange peel.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface. Roll into a 7-in. circle In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water. Brush over dough. Cut into six wedges. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 scones.,.
Reviews forAfternoon Tea Scones
"I makes these a lot on the farm and most often I leave the lemon and orange peel out and add chopped glaze' cherries and chopped pecans along with the sultanas. I get asked for the recipe all the time."