- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool. Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
Reviews forAfter-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup
"I made this yesterday. It was fantastic. So glad it's a big batch! I cooked it a little longer.....I had rice tenderness issues. The flavor was great and the whole family loved it. Very creamy! thanks for sharing"
"Wonderful soup, on a whim as I was adding the last ingredients to the pot I added a teaspoon of thyme, Mmmmm."
"This has become my annual Black Friday tradition. My daughter starts asking in July if I'm making it! I think it's even better a couple days later. I don't change anything, prepare it just as it says and it is a big hit every year."
"This is the best recipe for that left over turkey carcass. Total comfort food. The only thing I do different is use a 1/2 cup of flour and it's still plenty thick enough for us."
"Yum!!! This was such a wonderful comfort food, I'll make turkey's year round just to make this again. I did use about 2 Tbsp of chicken bouillon and that seemed just right. I froze the excess of turkey and broth (separately) so I can make another batch or half a batch later, but I think already made, this soup would probably freeze well."
"very tasty! have made this the past 2 years, we all love it! added some greens (leftover kale) and substituted farro for the rice and 1/2 whole wheat/1/2 white flour.also baked carcass at 400deg for 45 min. before boiling for extra flavor..."
"This is Fabulous! I also make it after I roast a chicken."