African Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chicken in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until tender. In a small bowl, mix chutney and peanut butter; stir into sweet potatoes. Add tomatoes; heat through.
- Spoon potato mixture over chicken. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175°.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1/2 cup potato mixture: 480 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Aug 14, 2019
Excellent recipe. I used shrimp instead of chicken, and also used frozen diced sweet potatoes.
Jul 26, 2017
This recipe was a surprise - unique blend of flavors, absolutely delicious! And easy! Prepared as presented, no additions/subtractions. It's a winner!
Feb 1, 2017
We really liked this a lot. Very unique flavor profile and so easy to make. The only brand of mango chutney I could find was Gray's brand. The recipe is a little spicy, as others have noted, I'm not sure if it's the Rotel or the chutney, or both. However, we found it to be a mild enough spice for us. If anyone has an aversion to spicy foods though, they may not enjoy it as much.
Aug 4, 2015
Really enjoyed this dish! I used plain diced tomatoes since we don't like a lot of spiciness. I'll definitely serve this again.
May 21, 2015
I'm not sure why this recipe only has 4 reviews! It is so delicious! I accidentally used a full cup of the mango chutney and it still turned out great! Will definitely make again and again since both my husband and I loved it.
Feb 11, 2015
This dinner is packed with flavor, and it's so easy.
Jun 9, 2014
We love this! The second time I prepared it I used the mild version of the diced tomatoes and green chiles, since the chutney I use is pretty spicy.
Apr 29, 2014
Lovely dinner will definitely have it again
Nov 12, 2013
Two words...Loved it. I can see why this was a contest winner. I had not used mango chutney (found it in the ethnic isle - Indian - around $4) before but it added so much to this dish. I served it with white rice and my family thought it was delicious.