African Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chicken in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until tender. In a small bowl, mix chutney and peanut butter; stir into sweet potatoes. Add tomatoes; heat through.
- Spoon potato mixture over chicken. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1/2 cup potato mixture: 480 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 26, 2017
This recipe was a surprise - unique blend of flavors, absolutely delicious! And easy! Prepared as presented, no additions/subtractions. It's a winner!
Feb 1, 2017
We really liked this a lot. Very unique flavor profile and so easy to make. The only brand of mango chutney I could find was Gray's brand. The recipe is a little spicy, as others have noted, I'm not sure if it's the Rotel or the chutney, or both. However, we found it to be a mild enough spice for us. If anyone has an aversion to spicy foods though, they may not enjoy it as much.
Aug 4, 2015
Really enjoyed this dish! I used plain diced tomatoes since we don't like a lot of spiciness. I'll definitely serve this again.
May 21, 2015
I'm not sure why this recipe only has 4 reviews! It is so delicious! I accidentally used a full cup of the mango chutney and it still turned out great! Will definitely make again and again since both my husband and I loved it.
Feb 11, 2015
This dinner is packed with flavor, and it's so easy.
Jun 9, 2014
We love this! The second time I prepared it I used the mild version of the diced tomatoes and green chiles, since the chutney I use is pretty spicy.
Apr 29, 2014
Lovely dinner will definitely have it again
Nov 12, 2013
Two words...Loved it. I can see why this was a contest winner. I had not used mango chutney (found it in the ethnic isle - Indian - around $4) before but it added so much to this dish. I served it with white rice and my family thought it was delicious.