- 3 small acorn squash
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute celery and onions in oil until tender. Add the spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook and stir until spinach is wilted.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, pecans and remaining salt. Drain water from baking pan. Turn squash cut side up. Stuff with spinach mixture; sprinkle crumb mixture over top. Dot with butter. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the squash is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forAcorn Squash with Spinach Stuffing
"I made this and omitted the butter, pecans, and only a dash of salt at the end of sauteing the spinach. This is a very good side dish. Since I only had one acorn squash I didn't use a whole package of spinach. Tasty and healthy!"
"Yum! used panko mixed with parmesan cheese instead of bread crumbs."
"I made acorn squash for the first time using this recipe -- my husband and I both loved it! I sauteed some fresh garlic with the onions and celery. Next time I will try the parmesan suggestion, too!"
"This is an excellent recipe, I sprinkled fresh grated parmesan cheese on top after baking and put back into the oven to melt, I will definitely be making this often. Thank you for the great recipe and to the cook who suggested microwaving 4 min for cutting the squash easily."
"Loved the flavors in this recipe as well as the ease of making it. I had to microwave the squash for a few minutes (about 4) in order to cut it safely as it was so hard. Next time I will brush the cut sides with additional butter for moisture and flavor but other than that, I loved it and will make it often!"
"I also added some white rice which was amazing!!"