Acorn Squash with Caramel Sauce
This squash recipe from Grandma's Homestead Restaurant, Holmes County, Ohio, is so delicious it could be dessert. The caramel sauce is also great as a dip for apples or a topping for ice cream.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (4 cups sauce)
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups maple pancake syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Sprinkle cinnamon over squash. Place cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up and dot with butter. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan, bring brown sugar and syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved. Stir in butter until melted. Add cream. Remove from the heat. Serve with squash. Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 871 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 165g carbohydrate (119g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Baked Acorn Squash with Caramel Sauce in Country Woman August/September 2007