Acorn Squash with Caramel Sauce
This squash recipe from Grandma's Homestead Restaurant, Holmes County, Ohio, is so delicious it could be dessert. The caramel sauce is also great as a dip for apples or a topping for ice cream.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (4 cups sauce)
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups maple pancake syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Sprinkle cinnamon over squash. Place cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up and dot with butter. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan, bring brown sugar and syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved. Stir in butter until melted. Add cream. Remove from the heat. Serve with squash. Refrigerate leftover sauce.