Acorn Spiced Squash
When fall comes to Horsham, Pennsylvania, George Mankin likes to prepare this wonderful, cinnamon-and-maple flavored squash recipe. It’s so quick and easy in the microwave and also, a good source of vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and mace
- Pierce squash several times with a fork. Place on paper towels; microwave on high for 10 minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, syrup and vinegar. Combine the ginger, cinnamon and mace. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Brush cut sides with butter mixture; sprinkle with spice mixture.
- Place on a large microwave-safe plate; cover with paper towels. Cook on high for 5-10 minutes or until squash is tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 155 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spiced Acorn Squash in Light & Tasty October/November 2007