- 2 large acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place with cut side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Add 1/2 in of water to pan. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until tender. Cool; scoop out pulp (should have about 4 cups). In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute cabbage, onion and apple until tender, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, almonds, salt, sage, thyme and pepper; mix well. Remove from heat and add squash. Place in a greased 2-qt. casserole. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forAcorn Cabbage Bake
"If you're not a hard core squash lover, as my family is not, make sure to cut the squash into very small cubes and salt it a bit before adding it to the other ingredients so it won't taste quite as "squashy". But I loved the combination of flavors and my family liked it too. I will make this again, but next time I think I'd like to add more apple, more cabbage, and a bit less squash. I didn't have almonds on hand, so I used walnuts, which were very good with this."