Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the fruit, water and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Drop into six mounds onto simmering fruit. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Serve warm with cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Feb 6, 2013
I FIXED THIS FOR WORK AND EVERYONE LIKED IT.
Nov 14, 2011
The flavor in this dish is wonderful. The cooking time for the dumplings ended up being about 20 minutes. I also doubled the fruit ingredients but neglected to double the dumplings...duh, and the result was waaayy too much juice which never thickened. I assume if I had also doubled the dumplings the extra flour would have soaked up the excess juice.
Oct 25, 2011
I loved my Mom's blueberry dumplings so I thought this sounded good. It was fabulous. So many wonderful flavors together. I couldn't resist adding cinnamon to the fruit as well. The second time I added more fruit and a little less water. The dumplings then cooked on top of the fruit and were lofty and light. Love this recipe; quick, easy and delightful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.