Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the fruit, water and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Drop into six mounds onto simmering fruit. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Serve warm with cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2013
I FIXED THIS FOR WORK AND EVERYONE LIKED IT.
Nov 14, 2011
The flavor in this dish is wonderful. The cooking time for the dumplings ended up being about 20 minutes. I also doubled the fruit ingredients but neglected to double the dumplings...duh, and the result was waaayy too much juice which never thickened. I assume if I had also doubled the dumplings the extra flour would have soaked up the excess juice.
Oct 25, 2011
I loved my Mom's blueberry dumplings so I thought this sounded good. It was fabulous. So many wonderful flavors together. I couldn't resist adding cinnamon to the fruit as well. The second time I added more fruit and a little less water. The dumplings then cooked on top of the fruit and were lofty and light. Love this recipe; quick, easy and delightful!